Wreaths Out 2023
Arlington National Cemetery (ANC) and Soldiers' and Airmen's Home National Cemetery (SAHNC) in Washington, D.C. will hold its annual removal of wreaths, known as Wreaths Out, on Saturday, Jan. 21 beginning at 8 a.m.
There will be no vehicular access permitted on cemetery grounds until 3 p.m. The Welcome Center Parking Garage will open to the public at 8 a.m. on a first-come, first-served basis.
The high volume of visitors may create traffic congestion and delays on nearby streets and at the cemetery’s entrances. We recommend visitors use public transportation or a rideshare service for travel to and from the cemetery. The drop-off location for rideshare services is adjacent to the Arlington Cemetery Metro stop on Memorial Avenue.
The safety and security of our visitors and employees during this event is our top priority. Visitors should anticipate large crowds and difficulty driving vehicles in the vicinity of Arlington National Cemetery due to road closures. Visitors are encouraged to use all four entrances to access the cemetery, which include the Memorial Avenue Welcome Center, the Ord and Weitzel pedestrian-only gate, the Service Complex pedestrian only gate and, for DoD cardholders, the Old Post Chapel gate.
All visitors will be required to pass through the cemetery’s security screening process before entering the cemetery. Prohibited items include: large bags or backpacks, firearms and weapons of any type, laser pointers, aerosol containers, soda cans, coolers, picnic baskets, tripods, lighters, screwdrivers (or similar tools), air horns, personal protection sprays and insulated beverage containers. Clear plastic water bottles are permitted.
Guidance for Visitors
• Give vehicles and heavy equipment the right of way.
• Remove Wreaths Across America wreaths only. Leave all other wreaths/decorations in place.
• Place wreaths in dumpsters positioned throughout the cemetery.
• When dumpsters are filled, carry remaining wreaths to unfilled dumpsters. Please do not place wreaths outside of dumpsters or anywhere else in the cemetery.
• Please follow instructions from staff to ensure the safety of visitors.