Individuals may request a flag to be flown over the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery. Requests must be submitted in writing to the address below and include the following:
- The sender's name, address, telephone number, and email address (if available)
- One U.S. Flag (footage sizes 3X5, 4X6, 5X8, or 6X10 - are accepted)
- A self-addressed return package with pre-paid postage for returning the flag to the sender
- Arlington National Cemetery cannot accept cash, money order, or checks for return postage. We accept FEDEX, USPS, UPS, First Class/Priority mail. If you choose to ship UPS, please ensure that your pre-printed return shipping label includes the shipping cost as well as the charges for picking up the package from Arlington National Cemetery. UPS will not pick packages unless the pick -up costs are included when the return label is scanned.
- The name of the person or organization for which the flag will be flown. If the individual is/was military, please provide the service member's rank and service component.
Please allow 3 weeks from the date the flag is received to be flown and returned. Arlington National Cemetery is not responsible for the loss or damage to any flag that is mailed. Your returned flag will be accompanied by a certificate with the name of the person or organization for which the flag was flown verifying the date the flag was flown at Arlington.
Written requests should be sent to:
Arlington National Cemetery
C/O: Commemorative Flag Flying Request
Arlington, VA 22211-5003