The primary mission of Arlington National Cemetery is to function as the nation's premier military cemetery and shrine, honoring those men and women who served in the armed forces. The cemetery remains active, with funeral services Monday through Saturday. We conduct 27 to 30 services each weekday, and six to eight services on Saturdays. Funeral services are held: Monday through Friday, except federal holidays, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., for placements and services for cremated remains that do not require military honors or military chaplain support. Services are not scheduled on Saturdays that precede a federal holiday on Monday. Family members and others attending a service should arrive at the cemetery approximately 45 minutes prior to the scheduled service time. Families will not be allowed entry into the cemetery earlier than one hour prior to the scheduled service. To request or coordinate funeral services, please call 1-877-907-8585.
UPDATE: January 3, 2022
Due to rising COVID omicron cases in the DC metro area, Arlington National Cemetery is elevating to a higher level of Health Protection Conditions for the protection of staff and visitors.
• Funeral attendance at Old Post Chapel services is limited to no more than 50 people inside the chapel.
• Face coverings are mandatory inside any federal building, to include the ANC Welcome Center and Administration Building.
UPDATE: December 26, 2021
Due to COVID and other factors, the timeframe for scheduling funerals has increased. The timeframe for scheduling may take several additional months than depicted on our fact sheet on the Scheduling a Funeral page. Please contact our call center at 877-907-8585 for current wait times.
UPDATE: August 31, 2021
There is now no limit to the number of funeral attendees at graveside services.
Due to COVID 19 constraints, we are still restricted to allowing no more than two people to enter the Administration Building for final funeral coordination. Cemetery representatives will walk out to the funeral queuing lot to guide funeral attendees out to the gravesite, as we have done since March 2020.
• Two family members are allowed inside the Administration Building for coordination on the day of the funeral.
• Military funeral honors with escort is now available for eligible service members. Military funeral honors with escort consists of individual service branch body bearers, a firing party, an escort commander with guidon, escort, bugler, drummer, national colors and chaplain. The 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment's caisson platoon may also be requested. Additionally, U.S. Army and U.S. Marine Corps service members with ranks O-6 and above may receive a caparisoned horse.
• Military funeral honors and dependent honors continue with branch of service-specific military honors teams.
Frequently Asked Questions
• Is my loved one eligible for burial or inurnment at Arlington National Cemetery?
• How do I schedule a service?
• How long is the wait time for a service?
• What documents are required?
• What happens at a typical service? What types of military funeral honors are available?
• Can I order a particular type of headstone?
• How can I find a grave or visit a loved one's gravesite?
• What are your policies on gravesite floral tributes and wreaths?
• Does Arlington National Cemetery provide transportation for funeral attendees?
Arlington National Cemetery (ANC), the Army National Military Cemeteries and the U.S. Army do not recommend, endorse or contract with any photographers, videographers, limousine, private coach services, florists or hotels for the purposes of providing those and related services to family members laying their loved ones to rest at Arlington National Cemetery. There is no official photographer, videographer, florist or bagpiper for families interring their loved one at ANC. If a person so represents themselves to you, they may be attempting to scam or mislead you. Finally, if an email address or website does not end in .mil, this person or company is not connected to ANC or the Army and may also be attempting to scam or mislead you. Please exercise great caution in choosing to conduct any business with such company or person(s).