3rd Infantry Division Monument
Third Infantry Division Monument
The 3rd Infantry Division monument was approved by President George Bush on September 29, 1988 in Public Law 100-456. It was dedicated on August 15, 1990. The memorial is located on the right (north) side of the curved part of Memorial Drive near the Canadian Cross and the Challenger memorial. The nine-ton gray obelisk is several feet behind its roadside marker. The bronze and stone marker lists battles fought by the 3rd Infantry. Famed World War II Medal of Honor recipient Major Audie Murphy, of the 3rd Infantry, is buried along the flagstone walkway in section 46 on the left (south) side of Memorial Drive.
U.S. Army 'Rock of the Marne'
The 3rd Division was organized at Camp Greene, North Carolina, on November 23, 1917. All units of the Division were in France by March 1918. The Division entered combat in May. On July 15, 1918, it distinguished itself in defense of the Marne River at Chateau-Thierry, forty-five miles northeast of Paris. This action earned the Division the proud motto, 'Rock of the Marne'.
The 3rd Infantry Division fought with distinction in World War II, participating in four amphibious landings in North Africa, Sicily, Italy, and France. The Division played a crucial role in the defense of South Korea. It returned to Germany in 1957 as part of the NATO Defense Force and was there when the 3rd Division Memorial was dedicated on August 15, 1990.